Friday, November 29, 2013

Ohio Wedding was born of necessity to combine two challenges.  I'm entering this in the NYC DWR Challenge: MODERN as well as the Central Oregon Modern Quilt Guild 2014 challenge to do a modern interpretation of an Ohio Star. 
MQG DWR Challenge Quilt

I wanted to do something different and yet very familiar for the Ohio stars so I carved a large linoleum block into an Ohio star and printed a couple yards of Kona with a dark gray ink.  The wedding rings were made from this stamped fabric.



The design board was key for this project.  I have a new appreciation for the layout of DWR quilts after attempting one myself!


I also used pants suiting material that was interfaced with pellon for stability and some more solids and low volume whites.  I wanted some uncut Ohio star prints so I braved a few Y seams and blended the rings with some square piecing.  To add a little pizzaz, I bound the quilt in a turquoise color rose printed fabric.
I'm excited to have finished my first DWR the same year I'll be getting married! (well, 3/15/14) It's an honor to enter this contest and display my quilt along side such great creations.  

No comments: