Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Riley Blake Challenge Quilt

This challenge included tea-dyed Riley Blake striped fabric.  I used a concentrated mixture of PG Tips  brand black tea.   It also included, applique,  up-cycled denim, curtains from Ikea, and a mix of stash solids.

I started the challenge by narrowing the color palette of Riley Blake fabrics, trading with a friend in our Guild to make the remaining colors more monochromatic and somewhat manly (this will be a gift for a little boy).  
I cut equal sized squares and used Elizabeth Hartman's tutorial for a crazy nine patch for the center focus of the quilt.

 After the nine patch blocks were finished I made use of remaining fabric to create some movement, using improvisational piecing to complete the sashing on my design wall.  Here's a WIP shot.  I love the extra blocks set on point along the top and bottom, I think they add a little something unexpected!







 I bound the quilt in dark blue and used several shades of tan to add interest to the negative space.  I love this quilt because by shrinking the color palette down to a smaller set of print fabrics, I was able to achieve something so different from many of the other entries.  What fun to see all the beautiful challenge completions!


Thanks Central Oregon Modern Quilt Guild for the inspiration and camaraderie with this challenge! 



No comments: